Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Landlubbing in Nashville


I had come to the conclusion I couldn't even think about being without a boat, so I bought this 'little' - well, it was littler than the O'Day - 26 ft. Pearson. I didn't live aboard her, of course, but she was a delight to sail, even though I didn't get to do as much of that as I wanted. It was my 'escape' from reality. My sister was well enough the first year I lived with her to get out for a few sails and some get togethers at the club. I hosted a Women Aboard meeting at the Harbor Island Sailing Club House (where I kept my new Smiles To Go) and Kathy was well enough at that time to attend. It went downhill for her for three years, and my involvement with a US Coast Guard Auxilary Flotilla in Nashville went downhill as well. Even though I couldn't get out and do much on the water with the Flotilla, I was able to serve as Secretary/Recorder and as Publisher for Division, as both jobs could be done mostly from home. It was my pleasure to be associated with them. My oldest son, Dutch and next to the youngest, Mike, came for Thanksgiving after I bought the boat and we all went sailing. Dutch has a 22 ft McGregor in Kansas City, so this was a 'big' boat for him to play with. One of the really great places to visit - my favorite - in Nashville is the Parthenon in Centennial Park. The statue of Athena is overwhelming. You have to see it to believe it. When Kathy went through her transition I packed up my stuff and moved in with Mike at his home in Indianapolis until I once again got my bearing - before looking for my next live aboard adventure. The picture on the top left is me standing on the rail holding my Women Aboard burgee' (http://www.waboard.com/Content.aspx?page=HomePage) the picture next to it is the Thanksgiving sail and below is one of my granddaughter and I at the Parthenon, standing in front of Athena - she is big, as you can tell by the comparison. On to another story!

No comments: