Friday, September 26, 2008

Evacuation - I call it Vacation


This is the mess I left in Kemah - both across the street, at the marina and all over Kemah. What a big mess this is. No water or electricity at the Marina and no job to go to with the fences down and docks torn up; I think they call it 'laid off'. I put some clothes, the computer and other odds and ends in the car and took off for Montgomery, AL - where my cousin John has a beautiful home. Don't have pictures of it, but the other one is of the condo he has in Panama City Beach, FL - which is where I am now. The condo is about to under go some remodeling, so will be going back to Montgomery when that starts and then on up to North AL to John's brothers house who has a home on the TN river in Killen, AL. While I am there I will do some genealogy research for the family website, visit with family, do some kayaking on the river and generally enjoy myself. This has been a fun and exciting trip. As I was leaving the area, just north of Bay Town saw a man selling "I Survived Ike" tee shirts and just had to have one of those of course. Drove for about 8 hours and was somewhere just west of Gulfport, MS and stopped for the night. Not sure where, but at an Econolodge that was a really big mess, but I was too tired, after signing into a non smoking room that smelled like smoke, with lots of mold on the ceiling in the bathroom, and moldy stains on the carpet. Started to take all my stuff back to the car and go somewhere else and decided there were a lot more people in worse condition than I and stayed. UGH! I also got to spend about 1/2 and hour in stand still traffic along I-10 where it goes through the swamp. Never did figure out what the hold up was. Spent a couple of nights in Montgomery at John's, going out to eat and doing some shopping for the upgrades at the Montgomery house - he is just remodeling everywhere. The contractor called John; he couldn't get at the work on the condo until the next week, so I headed down here to Panama City Beach in FL. So nice and peaceful here on the 18th green at Bay Point. Went for a walk yesterday and found my next home - the Bay Point Marina. Have always liked it here in PCB and have decided to come and stay for a while. Even have a Parrot Head Club here, which I am looking forward to joining. Think I will take another walk over to the marina - it is so comfortable over there. I miss my boat. Hope everyone who experienced Ike is on the way to recovery.

No comments: